Definition of echidna in English:
- Family Tachyglossidae, order Monotremata: two genera and species, in particular Tachyglossus aculeatus
- The platypus and the echidna - a nocturnal, burrowing mammal with a spiny coat, long claws, and no teeth - are the only known living members of a type of animal known as monotremes.
- These exotic egg-laying animals are represented by just three species: the duck-billed platypus and two echidnas.
- Unlike platypuses, echidnas lack webbing and instead have large, shovel-like claws are present on all feet.
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek ekhidna 'viper', also the name of a mythical creature that gave birth to the many-headed Hydra; compare with ekhinos 'sea urchin, hedgehog'.
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.