- A metamorphic rock containing granular minerals, typically garnet and pyroxene.More example sentences
- Specific rock names that record both the parent rock and its mineralogy are relatively rare, but include eclogite, blueschist, and amphibolite.
- In similar contrast to the Okenyenya xenolith suite, lithologies such as wehrlite, eclogite and pyroxenite are also absent.
- The granulite to eclogite transformation may not occur if water is absent; for example, if ocean crust has been dehydrated as happens when a slab subducts.
mid 19th century: from French, from Greek eklogē 'selection' (with reference to the selective content of the rock) + -ite1.
More definitions of eclogiteDefinition of eclogite in:
- The British & World English dictionary