Definition of ecotone in English:
A region of transition between two biological communities.
- Belt transects or strip transects have traditionally been used to study transitions between community types, such as the ecotone between a forested community and the grassy vegetation in a forest opening.
- Tigers thrive in the areas known as ecotones that exist between cultivation and dense forest.
- The apparent importance of ecotones in defining habitat quality for Northern Spotted Owls in northwestern California is based on long-term observational data.
- Example sentences
- A major characteristic of barrens is the presence of many herbaceous species typical of tallgrass prairie and ecotonal habitats intermediate between prairie and forest.
- Based on the habitat preference of associated species R. eastmanii prefers the ecotonal habitat between the wet floodplains and the dry uplands.
- Angaraland equisetopsids are very diverse, especially in the Subangaraland ecotonal belt.
Definition of ecotone in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan