(British also oedema)
Definition of edema in English:
A condition characterized by an excess of watery fluid collecting in the cavities or tissues of the body. Also called dropsy1.
- Mild edema of the medullary cavity was present in most of these cases.
- This reverses the gradient, causing a decrease in tissue and organ edema and associated morbidity.
- The bandages substitute for the elasticity lost by tissues engorged with edema.
- Example sentences
- Allergic forms usually present acutely with erythematous, pruritic, edematous and exudative lesions, while contact dermatitis often has a more insidious onset with lichenification.
- Urticaria is characterized by pruritic, edematous, well-circumscribed, erythematous plaques that are transient over several hours.
- Symptoms of strep throat may include pharyngeal erythema and swelling, tonsillar exudate, edematous uvula, palatine petechiae, and anterior cervical lymphadenopathy.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan