Definition of effloresce in English:
1.1(Of salts) come to the surface of brickwork, rock, or other material and crystallize there.
- These clay plains are irregularly veined in places with crystalline gypsum, and are impregnated with saliferous matter, which effloresces on the surface.
- These physical characteristics are common to several other smaller lakes which are found in this region of country, where salt is so abundant, that in many places it effloresces on the surface of the earth.
2Reach an optimum stage of development; blossom: simple concepts that effloresce into testable conclusions
More example sentences
- He anticipated that these spiritual assemblies would effloresce into the house of justice.
- It starts out slow and ethereal, but when the chorus comes, it effloresces into a symphony of preternatural sound that blows you away.
late 18th century: from Latin efflorescere, from e- (variant of ex-) 'out' + florescere 'begin to bloom' (from florere 'to bloom', from flos, flor- 'flower').
- Example sentences
- I think it was a very happy accident because at the time I was looking for new work to publish, there was an efflorescence in Scottish writing.
- Maybe we really are on the verge of a renaissance, a footballing efflorescence that will see scores of talented Scottish players wooing back fans and cutting a dash on the world stage.
- It was, even by the standards of this over-hyped era, a remarkable efflorescence of talent.
- Example sentences
- The morning light as it falls on the efflorescent trees, distant Blue Mountains and the ‘winged-beauty’ of birds makes for paradise.
- This will cause mould stains and the possibility of efflorescent salts, a white fluffy substance, appearing.
- Gypsum occurs as seams in the sedimentary rocks and as postmining efflorescent needles.
Words that rhyme with effloresceacquiesce, address, assess, Bess, bless, bouillabaisse, caress, cess, chess, coalesce, compress, confess, convalesce, cress, deliquesce, digress, dress, duchesse, duress, effervesce, evanesce, excess, express, fess, finesse, fluoresce, guess, Hesse, impress, incandesce, intumesce, jess, largesse, less, manageress, mess, ness, noblesse, obsess, oppress, outguess, phosphoresce, politesse, possess, press, priestess, princess, process, profess, progress, prophetess, regress, retrogress, stress, success, suppress, tendresse, top-dress, transgress, tress, tristesse, underdress, vicomtesse, yes
Definition of effloresce in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia