Definition of efflux in English:
1The flowing out of a particular substance or particle.
- For the first category of compounds, it is the cell wall, together with the outer membrane and associated proteins, which presents a potential barrier to influx and efflux of chemical compounds.
- The first step in this process is calcium ion efflux from the cells.
- The scary aspect of this is that calcium ion efflux occurs at intensities and field strengths that are extremely low.
1.1Material flowing out.
- Together, these findings are consistent with the current being carried by a burst of Cl - efflux through Cl - permeable channels that activate almost simultaneously.
- Diverse mechanisms may be responsible for the development of resistance for Cr in microbes, including chromate efflux 85.
- So, by such a transport inhibition of ketone body efflux from the liver, the brain is deprived of those energetic compounds leading to lower BDH activity.
1.2 another term for effluxion (sense 1).
mid 16th century: from medieval Latin effluxus, from effluere 'flow out'.
Definition of efflux in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia