Definition of effulgent in English:
1Shining brightly; radiant.
- Even in this instance, it shined through like the effulgent, yet blinding sun, eminently spreading the glow into the unsuspecting eyes of a person not protected by the shade of the trees.
- In the night sky, nothing is brighter and more effulgent than the moon.
- He who meditates becomes united with the effulgent Sun.
1.1(Of a person or their expression) emanating joy or goodness.
- He inhabits one of those effulgent personalities that transcends whatever it is he is supposed to be doing, along with an ebullient fan base and a well-promoted ordinary blokiness that charms men and mums alike.
- When I succeeded Archbishop Tutu many questions were being asked as to how this relatively unknown young man was going to fill the shoes of such an effulgent personality.
- People used to explain me as an effulgent person.
- Example sentences
- It is not surprising that the majority of authors represented here experienced some form of exile during their lives, a radical disruption from the norm that allowed the effulgence of the black light to illuminate their work.
- There was also light, an effulgence of light reverberating through every aspect of my being.
- Her body seemed smaller in the sudden effulgence.
- Example sentences
- Much of this is highly entertaining, and the anachronistic one-liners are sometimes wonderful, sometimes effulgently absurd.
- The Lord shines effulgently in the universe, so also the universe shines in the Lord.
- As I told you in the beginning, God shines effulgently in the universe.
Pronunciation: /əˈfo͝oljəns/ /ēˈfo͝oljəns/ /əˈfəljəns/ /ēˈfəljəns/noun
Mid 18th century (earlier (mid 17th century) as effulgence): from Latin effulgent- 'shining brightly', from the verb effulgere, from ex- 'out' + fulgere 'to shine'.
Words that rhyme with effulgentfulgent, indulgent
Definition of effulgent in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.