Definition of effusive in English:
1Expressing feelings of gratitude, pleasure, or approval in an unrestrained or heartfelt manner: an effusive welcome
More example sentences
- My approach is to rarely ask him for anything if I can at all help it, since his granting of a favour requires about 3-5 years of effusive gratitude and grovelling.
- No prizes, I'm afraid, but you'll have my most effusive gratitude.
- The conductor, short, chubby, curly-haired and Puckish, has been effusive in his welcome.
2 Geology (Of igneous rock) poured out when molten and later solidified.
- The subalkaline character of the magmatic activity, combined with the prevalence of acidic effusive rocks, is characteristic of an orogenic suite developed on continental crust.
- If the mafic sheets were effusive and associated with primary volcaniclastic rocks, they should have contributed detritus to any immediately overlying sediments.
- The cooling of the effusive rocks takes place in two stages
2.1Of or relating to the eruption of large volumes of molten rock.
- Volcanic activity at Mount Etna has been characterized by several effusive eruptions in the last 30 years.
- Since the adoption of the exhalative model for the mineralization, the host succession has been interpreted as a dominantly effusive, and explosively eruptive, volcanic pile.
- The nature of the degassing process within a volcanic edifice is critically important to the nature of eruptions, whether explosive or effusive, from the volcano.
- Example sentences
- He speaks effusively about his children, his garden, his life-saving triple heart bypass operation in 1992, which ‘changed’ him.
- By now we're also well versed in the sociability of the canal, greeting fellow boaters effusively and chatting with passers-by at locks, where we are often the main attraction.
- Both were seen effusively greeting each other.
- Example sentences
- Her natural effusiveness and love of writing - she reads about six books at a time - make her an irresistible bookseller.
- The doctor, who was not known for his effusiveness said simply, ‘You won't have any problems,’ and that was it.
- He is a quietly-spoken individual off the park, not given to effusiveness or hyperbole.