An Old World snake that swallows birds' eggs. It has weak teeth, and breaks shells with sawlike projections inside the gullet.
- Subfamily Dasypeltinae, family Colubridae: genus Dasypeltis (of Africa, in particular the widespread D. scabra), and Elachistodon westermanni (of India)
More example sentences
- But no egg-eaters could eat all of the dinosaurs' eggs; they would eat themselves into extinction if they did (they would have no more food).
- Predators were rarely sighted, but in one case, a common egg-eater snake was found in a nest, feeding on the eggs.
- A fully grown Egg Eater grows to a size of 60-76cm (24-30 inches) in length.
Definition of egg-eating snake in:
- The British & World English dictionary