Definition of eggar in English:
A large brownish moth that is often active during the day. The caterpillars typically bear irritant hairs and make an egg-shaped cocoon.
- Many species in the family Lasiocampidae
- I'm fairly sure this is the caterpillar of an oak eggar moth, but I would welcome being corrected.
- The Small Eggar moth is another rarity found only in this part of Shropshire.
- Adult oak eggars are also preyed upon by several birds, particularly black-headed gulls.
Definition of eggar in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India