The practice of talking and thinking about oneself excessively because of an undue sense of self-importance: in his arrogance and egotism, he underestimated Jill
More example sentences
- Indeed, conceit, arrogance, and egotism are the essentials of patriotism.
- Denial would appear to be in fact much more common even than excess egotism.
- They live for up to several months in the bush, where they learn to overcome pride, egotism, and selfishness.
See egoism (usage).
- Example sentences
- In fact, the more an ego encompasses or "egotizes" the tendencies of its own sex, the more it feels anatomically complete.
- He identified that 'egotizing variability' which came close to daemonic power, but which was also the source of poetry.
Early 18th century: from French égoïste, from Latin ego 'I'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.