noun(also eider duck) (plural same or eiders)
1A northern sea duck, of which the male has mainly black and white plumage with a colored head, and the brown female has soft down feathers that are used to line the nest.
- Genus Somateria (and Polysticta), family Anatidae: four species, in particular the common eider (S. mollissima)
More example sentences
- Sea ducks like scoters and eiders are also divers.
- Both of these types are plentiful on the Cape, as are sea ducks, such as scoters and eiders, viewable from many vantage points.
- They frequently nest in colonies, often in association with eiders.
1.1 another term for eiderdown.
late 17th century: from Icelandic æthur, from Old Norse æthr.
More definitions of eiderDefinition of eider in:
- The British & World English dictionary