nounMusic , North American
- A note having the time value of an eighth of a whole note or half a quarter note, represented by a large dot with a hooked stem.More example sentences
- Some passages do incorporate sixteenth notes and eighth notes with dotted quarters following.
- Prior to learning the notes, students need to tap and count the rhythm, incorporating all accents and dynamics, with the metronome set to the eighth note.
- Half-way through the book there is a message that the eighth notes should be played as swinging eighths with the note on the beat longer and the note on the off-beat shorter.
More definitions of eighth noteDefinition of eighth note in:
- The British & World English dictionary