cardinal number (plural eighties)
- By the eve of the Revolution, eighty to ninety percent of rural households owned spinning wheels, and almost half owned looms.
- I think it's about eighty or ninety years old at most, but it has an extremely unusual quality.
- I read somewhere that a child, whose parents both smoke twenty a day, has inhaled the equivalent of eighty cigarettes worth of passive smoke in one year.
- During the eighties he found himself seconded to the new ambulance control room, in Preston.
- It was in the eighties that underworld characters in the movies began to look more realistic.
- There had been a change in the nature of unemployment since the early eighties.
- When we got in the jeep he sped about eighty down the highway.
- You should've seen her last night, driving at seventy miles per hour going on eighty, blasting rock music.
- He pushed the speed up to eighty on a forty mile road.
- Example sentences
- The thought of having to listen for eightieth time to some youngster reciting ‘I wandered lonely as a cloud’ and still having to retain some benign encouraging smile seems to me to be beyond the call of duty.
- The New Yorker celebrates its eightieth anniversary with a travelling exhibition of memorable cartoons inked by notable cartoonists from the past eight decades.
- Well, here we are, 2003 already, and next birthday will be my eightieth.
- Example sentences
- An eightyfold increase in coal production led to the need for more lumber for mine props, timbers, and planks.
- In 2003, imports from China were worth $3.3 billion, an eightyfold rise over 1992.
Old English hunde(a)htatig, from hund (of uncertain origin) + e(a)hta 'eight' + -tig (see -ty2); the first element was lost early in the Middle English period.
Words that rhyme with eightyAlbacete, Haiti, Katy, Kuwaiti, Leyte, matey, pratie, slaty, weighty
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of eighty in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.