Definition of einkorn in English:
An old kind of Mediterranean wheat with small bearded ears and spikelets that each contain one slender grain, used as fodder in prehistoric times but now rarely grown. Compare with emmer, spelt2.
- Triticum monococcum, family Gramineae
- Three species exist both as wild and domesticated wheats, einkorn, emmer, and breadwheat.
- Bread wheat was the accidental ‘unnatural’ crossing of einkorn and then emmer wheat with another species.
- Domesticates included herded sheep and goats together with hulled barley, and emmer and einkorn wheat.
early 20th century: from German, from ein 'one' + Korn 'seed'.
Definition of einkorn in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan