Definition of ejective in English:
Denoting a type of consonant in some languages, e.g., Hausa, produced by sudden release of pressure from the glottis.
- In fact, it represents an ejective velar stop; the combinations represent a glottalized velar fricative and labialized versions of the first two.
- But the final defeating challenge must be the ‘ejective ‘consonants, expressed with a burst of breath.’
- So let's practice distinguishing ejective from aspirated stops.
nounBack to top
An ejective consonant.
- Some of the ejectives are simply not indicated as being so; others are incorrectly labelled ‘plosive’.
- It may take a bit of practice to learn how to make an ejective.
- The purpose of the paper is to investigate acoustic characteristics which distinguish ejectives from pulmonic stops in Ingush.
Definition of ejective in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan