Definition of elasmosaur in English:
A Cretaceous plesiosaur with a long neck shaped like that of a swan.
- The remains include the bones of dinosaurs, birds, and large marine reptiles such as mosasaurs and elasmosaurs, as well as fossilized sponges, mollusks, pine cones, and diverse fish teeth.
- Like the rest of the Plesiosauroidea, elasmosaurs had a barrel-shaped body with four paddle-shaped flippers.
- Storrs considers this species a synonym of P. guilelmiimperatoris, while Robert Bakker asserts that it is an early elasmosaur, and transfers it to the genus Microcleidus (as M. brachypterygius).
- 1elasmosaurian adjective
- Example sentences
- Several associated series of elasmosaurian cervical vertebrae were used to measure ranges of potential flexion.
- The cervical vertebrae are very short, suggesting pliosaurian relationships, whereas the scapulae and coracoids seem to be elasmosaurian.
Late 19th century: from modern Latin Elasmosaurus, from Greek elasmos 'beaten metal' + sauros 'lizard'.
Definition of elasmosaur in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.