(also elasmosaurus /əˌlazməˈsôrəs/)
Definition of elasmosaur in English:
A Cretaceous plesiosaur with a long neck shaped like that of a swan.
- The remains include the bones of dinosaurs, birds, and large marine reptiles such as mosasaurs and elasmosaurs, as well as fossilized sponges, mollusks, pine cones, and diverse fish teeth.
- Like the rest of the Plesiosauroidea, elasmosaurs had a barrel-shaped body with four paddle-shaped flippers.
- Storrs considers this species a synonym of P. guilelmiimperatoris, while Robert Bakker asserts that it is an early elasmosaur, and transfers it to the genus Microcleidus (as M. brachypterygius).
- Example sentences
- Several associated series of elasmosaurian cervical vertebrae were used to measure ranges of potential flexion.
- The cervical vertebrae are very short, suggesting pliosaurian relationships, whereas the scapulae and coracoids seem to be elasmosaurian.
Definition of elasmosaur in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan