noun (plural elderberries)
- 1The bluish-black or red berry of the elder, used especially for making jelly or wine.More example sentences
- There were also dried berries, possibly elderberries and blueberries, and a type of root.
- The most familiar use of the elder tree is probably that of the berries being cooked to make elderberry wine and various jams and jellies.
- Wild fruit jellies, such as elderberry, rowanberry, sloe or crab apple, also make a great accompaniment.
- 1.1An elder tree or shrub.More example sentences
- Some popular small trees and shrubs with birds are: blueberries, elderberries, hollies, cherries, and dogwoods.
- Red willow, arroyo willow, elderberry, and McDonald oak are present in the tree and shrub layers.
- Each bed is edged with overlapping hoops formed from small cuttings of apple, elderberry and pear trees.
More definitions of elderberryDefinition of elderberry in:
- The British & World English dictionary