Definition of electric organ in English:
1An organ (keyboard) in which the sound is produced electrically rather than by pipes.
- The theremin, ondes martinot, and even the electric organ sound like nothing really other than themselves.
- Oboes, electric organs, glockenspiels and sleigh bells decorate the material, and the musical touches make one pine for an all-instrumental version of the album.
- To the relentless shaking of maracas, four electric organs inflate and deflate a dominant eleventh chord through the addition and subtraction of pitches and durations.
2 Zoology An organ in certain fishes that is used to produce an electrical discharge for stunning prey, for sensing the surroundings, or as a defense.
- They really only use their strong electric organ discharges for predation and defensive purposes.
- The development of electric organs in E. electricus happens very soon after birth.
- Here, we report a redox regulation of the function of ClC - 0, a chloride (Cl-) channel from the Torpedo electric organ.
Definition of electric organ in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan