Definition of electric ray in English:
A sluggish bottom-dwelling marine ray that typically lives in shallow water and can produce an electric shock for the capture of prey and for defense. Also called torpedo ray (see torpedo).
- Family Torpedinidae: several genera, in particular Torpedo, and many species
- Resting on the sand are stingrays, electric rays, frogfish and the docile Port Jackson shark.
- We saw several species of stingray, including an electric ray brilliantly camouflaged in the sand.
- They include things like the electric rays and the swordfishes (Pristidae).
Definition of electric ray in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.