- A sluggish bottom-dwelling marine ray that typically lives in shallow water and can produce an electric shock for the capture of prey and for defense. Also called torpedo ray (see torpedo).
More example sentences
- Family Torpedinidae: several genera, in particular Torpedo, and many species
- Resting on the sand are stingrays, electric rays, frogfish and the docile Port Jackson shark.
- We saw several species of stingray, including an electric ray brilliantly camouflaged in the sand.
- They include things like the electric rays and the swordfishes (Pristidae).
More definitions of electric rayDefinition of electric ray in:
- The British & World English dictionary