Definition of electron pair in English:
1 Chemistry Two electrons occupying the same orbital in an atom or molecule.
- In the case of aldehydes and ketones containing carbonyl groups, the highly nucleophilic Grignard reagent contributes its electron pair to form a bond with the carbon atom.
- The halide retains the electron pair of the carbon-halogen bond when it leaves.
- Although in each molecule there are three hydrogen atoms bonded to the central nitrogen atom, the nitrogen atom also carries a lone electron pair.
2 Physics An electron and a positron produced in a high-energy reaction.
- Similarly, four protons are pumped into the intramembrane space as each electron pair flows through complexes III and as four electrons are used to reduce O 2 to H 2 O in complex IV.
- This is primarily because of stabilization of the polarization of the radical cation-hydrated electron pair in the condensed media.
- Normal current is carried by single electrons; within superconductors the charge units are electron pairs called Cooper pairs.
Definition of electron pair in:
- British & World English dictionary