Definition of electropositive in English:
1 Physics Electrically positive.
- Specifically, large electropositive or electronegative regions can reasonably attract oppositely charged entities through long-range electrostatic interactions.
- Microporous filters that are more electropositive than the negatively charged filters currently used for virus concentrations from water by filter adsorption-elution methods were evaluated for poliovirus recovery from tap water.
- The results confirm the electropositive charge of the virus, as well as the minuteness of its size.
2 Chemistry (Of an element) tending to lose electrons and form positive ions in chemical reactions.
- In the case of binary covalent compounds, the positive oxidation number is assigned to the more electropositive element, and the negative oxidation number to the more electronegative element.
- In this reaction the electrophile is produced when the methyl chloride reacts with the aluminum chloride to form an electropositive CH 3 group.
- When an alcohol is reacted with a strongly electropositive metal, such as sodium, the products are hydrogen and a crystalline, ionic salt of the metal, called an alkoxide.
Definition of electropositive in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan