Definition of electrotype in English:
verb[with object] (often as noun electrotyping)
Make a copy of (something) by the electrolytic deposition of copper on a mold.
- Electrotyping is an application of the art of electroplating to typography, used for making duplicate plates for relief printing.
- Standing newspaper matter may be stereotyped -- unless it contains cuts, when it should be electrotyped -- but should be cast on metal base to avoid shrinking and swelling.
nounBack to top
A copy made by electrotyping.
- Circulars, flyers, bill-heads, letter heads, cards, and labels may be either electrotyped or stereotyped on wood base, the electrotype being the more durable, and especially desirable where fancy type or ornaments are used.
- While the detail of an electrotype can be excellent, the edge will usually give it away.
Definition of electrotype in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.