Definition of electrotype in English:
verb[with object] (often as noun electrotyping)
Make a copy of (something) by the electrolytic deposition of copper on a mold.
- Electrotyping is an application of the art of electroplating to typography, used for making duplicate plates for relief printing.
- Standing newspaper matter may be stereotyped -- unless it contains cuts, when it should be electrotyped -- but should be cast on metal base to avoid shrinking and swelling.
nounBack to top
A copy made by electrotyping.
- Circulars, flyers, bill-heads, letter heads, cards, and labels may be either electrotyped or stereotyped on wood base, the electrotype being the more durable, and especially desirable where fancy type or ornaments are used.
- While the detail of an electrotype can be excellent, the edge will usually give it away.
- Example sentences
- The engravings, after having been cut on the plates, were sent to the electrotyper.
- A ten-digit keyboard is provided for transferring digital information to an electrotyper.
Words that rhyme with electrotypedaguerreotype
Definition of electrotype in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia