Definition of elegize in English:
Write in a wistfully mournful way about someone or something.
- Aerial shots of suburban homes and snow-tired pickups paid for with postwar Spam elegize what's soon to be lost.
- He makes veiled allusions to Christianity as well as to Chaldaean theurgy, and elegizes over the silence of the oracles.
- Her son, Major Robert Gregory, he elegized as embodiment of the artist as man of action.
- Example sentences
- The history of pastoral elegy reveals a faith in the performative value of the poet's utterance that motivates prior elegists to sing.
- Although all of the pastoral elegists know the conventions established by their forefathers and follow them with precision, each must pretend at the beginning that he does not know the end.
- The interwoven connections between the family, the Duke of Buckingham and his various elegists, for example, are particularly persuasively presented.
Definition of elegize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia