- An oleoresin obtained from a tropical tree and used in varnishes, ointments, and aromatherapy.
More example sentences
- This resin is obtained from several trees in the family Burseraceae, in particular Bursera simaruba (producing American elemi) and Canarium luzanicum (producing Manila elemi)
- Because of its drying and conserving properties, Elemi was one of the aromatics used by the ancient Egyptians for embalming their dead.
- Ethyl alcohol is a comparatively poor solvent for elemi, but some perfumers prefer to extract only once with one or two parts of ethyl alcohol.
mid 16th century: perhaps from Arabic al-lāmī.
More definitions of elemiDefinition of elemi in:
- The British & World English dictionary