Definition of elephant seal in English:
A large seal that breeds on the west coast of North America and the islands around Antarctica. The male is much larger than the female and has a very thick neck and an inflatable snout.
- Genus Mirounga, family Phocidae: two species
- It's home to the threatened southern elephant seal, the fur seal, two species of albatross and several species of, yes, penguin.
- To a lesser extent harbor seals are eaten, and we suspect on at least one occasion the birds found and fed upon a dead elephant seal.
- The northern elephant seal, Mirounga angustirostris, is known as the deepest continually diving phocid seal.
Definition of elephant seal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.