Definition of elitism in English:
1The advocacy or existence of an elite as a dominating element in a system or society.
- But the elitism and the populism in this claim are less far apart than they might seem.
- The spirit of American democracy is opposed to elitism.
- It is also expected to speed up the reform of a judiciary that is dominated by elitism and conservatism.
1.1The attitude or behavior of a person or group who regard themselves as belonging to an elite: he accused her of racism and white elitism
More example sentences
- The elitism often associated with opera seems to have become more pronounced in the last hundred years, with ticket prices being a possible contributory factor.
- If this is the case, then the future for the modern idea of the university and its associated elitism looks bleak.
- It is clear that your hate is founded in your arrogant elitism and your rank racism… I love you liberals… or is it communists?
Definition of elitism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan