(also elm tree)
Definition of elm in English:
1A tall deciduous tree that typically has rough serrated leaves and propagates from root suckers.
- Genus Ulmus, family Ulmaceae: several species, including the English elm (U. procera) and the American elm (U. americana), now largely lost to Dutch Elm disease
- The flora is dominated by Sequoia, cypresses, elms, oaks, willows, and cottonwoods.
- See any elms or oak trees or other non-native species?
- Spanish chestnuts, sycamores, willows, elms and oaks, to name but a few, located in every county have been studied, measured and observed in an attempt to find the champion of champions.
1.1 (also elmwood) The wood of the elm tree.
- It also shows that they knew that of the native timbers British elm was a superior timber to British yew for making bows (the best yew for bows came from Scandinavia, Spain and Austria).
- Less dense woods like elm and even soft maple are abundant and make fine firewood as long as you're willing to make a few extra trips to the woodpile.
- The elegantly crafted table is constructed in English walnut with inlays of burr elm and satinwood stringing.
Definition of elm in:
- British & World English dictionary