- 1 Medicine Obstruction of an artery, typically by a clot of blood or an air bubble.More example sentences
- Serious obstructions, such as a pulmonary embolism, need emergency medical treatment.
- Even so, thrombolytic therapy of pulmonary embolism does not dissolve the clot completely as it does with acute coronary thrombosis, and increases the risk of bleeding.
- A computed tomographic scan demonstrated a pulmonary embolism, and anticoagulation therapy was initiated.
mid 19th century: via late Latin from Greek embolismos, from emballein 'insert'.
More definitions of embolismDefinition of embolism in:
- The British & World English dictionary