Definition of emersion in English:
1The process or state of emerging from or being out of water after being submerged.
- Organisms that live higher on the shore experience larger daily and seasonal fluctuations in microhabitat conditions, due to their greater exposure to terrestrial conditions during emersion.
- Presumably, the increased chaperone need is induced by exaggerated gill protein denaturation in response to elevated body temperatures during emersion.
- The restructuring of the membrane bilayer, which may occur during the tidal cycle, if body temperature fluctuates widely during emersion and immersion, represents a second energetic cost to intertidal species.
1.1 Astronomy The reappearance of a celestial body after its eclipse or occultation.
- The spectacular reappearance of the planet - emersion - should be plainly visible to the unaided eye.
- Such terminology may also be used for eclipses and occultations, along with their synonyms immersion and emersion.
- So at 3.45pm BST, we decided to pack up and go to our respective homes in order to observe the emersion of Venus if we could.
Words that rhyme with emersionanimadversion, aspersion, assertion, aversion, bioconversion, Cistercian, coercion, conversion, desertion, disconcertion, dispersion, diversion, excursion, exertion, extroversion, immersion, incursion, insertion, interspersion, introversion, Persian, perversion, submersion, subversion, tertian, version
Definition of emersion in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.