Definition of emmer in English:
An old kind of Eurasian wheat with bearded ears and spikelets that each contain two grains, now grown mainly for fodder and breakfast cereals. Compare with einkorn, spelt2.
- Triticum dicoccum, family Gramineae
- Three species exist both as wild and domesticated wheats, einkorn, emmer, and breadwheat.
- Bread wheat was the accidental ‘unnatural’ crossing of einkorn and then emmer wheat with another species.
- Ancient or modern farmers have grown four wheat species: einkorn, emmer, timopheevi, and common (hexaploid, or bread) wheat.
Early 20th century: from German, from Old High German amer 'spelt'.
Words that rhyme with emmercontemner, dilemma, Emma, Jemma, lemma, maremma, stemma, tremor
Definition of emmer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.