Definition of emphysema in English:
1 (also pulmonary emphysema) A condition in which the air sacs of the lungs are damaged and enlarged, causing breathlessness.
- Remember asthma affects the lung tubes primarily and emphysema the air sacs.
- Then we need to add chronic lung diseases such as emphysema and chronic bronchitis to the list of smoking-caused illnesses.
- Other important causes of shortness of breath are asthma, emphysema, pneumonia, and clots to the lung.
2A condition in which air is abnormally present within the body tissues.
- Our patient presented with mild dyspnea and dysphonia and demonstrated subcutaneous emphysema and Hamman's sign.
- Tachycardia may be present, as well as subcutaneous emphysema.
- She was unable to open her right eye because of the subcutaneous emphysema.
- Example sentences
- In patients with similar smoking histories, the severity of COPD and of emphysematous lung destruction has been linked to the amplification of inflammation due to the persistence of viral infection.
- As there is no indication of increased residual volume or total lung capacity in these subjects, we conclude that the CT findings indicate early emphysematous or ‘emphysema-like’ changes in the lung.
- The chest CT had shown diffuse interstitial fibrosis, peripheral emphysematous bullae, and signs of pulmonary hypertension.
- Example sentences
- But we need this emphysemic, exponentially aging paperboy to rattle us every morning by announcing, ‘The news!’
- It was sitting there in its pyjamas, coughing and spluttering like an emphysemic pensioner climbing stairs.
- Luckily my emphysemic performance of Saturday evening was not repeated.
Words that rhyme with emphysemabeamer, blasphemer, Colima, creamer, dreamer, femur, Iwo Jima, Kagoshima, lemur, Lima, oedema (US edema), ottava rima, Pima, reamer, redeemer, schema, schemer, screamer, seamer, Selima, steamer, streamer, terza rima, Tsushima
Definition of emphysema in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.