Definition of empress in English:
1A female emperor.
- Constitutional changes to permit a female empress may thus trigger dangerous public debate about the need for a monarchy.
- It should be noted that Orchid's character is based on Tzu Hsi, who was China's longest-reigning female ruler and its last empress.
- China's emperors and empresses knew what they wanted.
1.1The wife or widow of an emperor.
- The emperor and empress met the Malaysian royal couple during a visit to Malaysia in 1970.
- Later emperors carried it further and in the second century AD empresses such as Sabina (wife of the emperor Trajan) were depicted as embodying, for example, pietas (family feeling).
- When she died, only four years ago at the age of 97, she was also the longest living empress consort in Japanese history.
Words that rhyme with empressEmrys
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan