Definition of en passant in English:
1By the way; incidentally: the group’s disbandment was announced, almost en passant, by the president
1.1 Chess By the en passant rule.
- Only pawns can be captured en passant.
- If White plays another move he cannot then decide to capture en passant!
- en passant rule (or law)
- Chess The rule that a pawn making a first move of two squares instead of one may nevertheless be immediately captured by an opposing pawn on the fifth rank.Example sentences
- Although you may play a hundred games, and never have to use the En Passant rule, you should know it if your opponent uses it.
- This en passant rule must happen on the current move of the game.
Early 17th century: French, literally 'in passing'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.