- (Of a piece or pawn) in a position to be taken.More example sentences
- But I do it anyway, because when I look methodically at all the squares attacked beyond the fourth rank, sometimes I see something actually useful, like a back rank mate or a queen en prise.
- For example, if Player A leaves a queen en prise, the opponent will quickly grab it and wreck A's game.
- Instead of capturing a Rook, Black puts a Bishop en prise, with check, on an unguarded square.
early 19th century: French.
More definitions of en priseDefinition of en prise in:
- The British & World English dictionary