1A place with temporary accommodations consisting of huts or tents, typically for troops or nomads.
- They have remained committed for over a decade, despite the permanent encampment of 20,000 troops surrounding them.
- He led them through the encampment of blue tents; it was like walking through a ghost town.
- It was Faouzi's idea to stop within sight of a nomad encampment on the way home.
camp, military camp, bivouac, cantonment;
campsite, camping ground;
1.1The process of setting up a camp.
- In the midst of the night, this encampment in these sparse woods on the edge of Ther'kass was eerily silent.
- Several government bodies are major landowners and their land may be subject to unauthorised encampment - examples include the Forestry Commission and the Highways Agency.
- A staggering 25 tonnes of rubbish and building rubble was left behind after the four day encampment on the main car park at Pennington Flash Country Park.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.