Definition of encore in English:
A repeated or additional performance of an item at the end of a concert, as called for by an audience.
- And then it's time for the encores and final farewells.
- At 62 she rarely betrayed her age and, if my memory serves me correctly, she performed a number of encores to thank the very enthusiastic audience.
- They order a jug of sangria, watching the Argentinian who, aware of his audience's renewed interest, is now performing an encore.
exclamationBack to top
verb[with object] Back to top
Give or call for a repeated or additional performance of (an item) at the end of a concert.
- Spice was encored three times.
- At the Richter premiere the third movement was encored, and Elgar wrote beside it in his programme ‘lovely’.
- ‘Va, pensiero,’ the opera's most famous excerpt, was even encored on opening night.
Early 18th century: French, literally 'still, again'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.