- Officials said coalition forces ordered the airstrike after encountering hostile fire from the location.
- He said the troops did not encounter any hostile fire.
- But they're likely to encounter a hostile European Union.
- Upon his return he encountered Mistress Dorset in the corridor.
- Rather, it appeared to be shock at encountering the person she least expected to meet.
- It is only infrequently in life that one encounters people whose talents have been recognised and honoured by society.
- Our casual lakeside encounters evolved into more regular meetings, dancing and dating.
- But you probably don't appreciate casual encounters.
- When you go to work, or visit a park, it is possible that you will have a range of unexpected encounters, however fleeting or seemingly inconsequential.
- But men have also reported unpleasant online encounters.
- It was the nastiest moment in countless unpleasant footballing encounters.
- ‘Border guards…,’ I thought with awe, bracing myself for an unpleasant encounter.
Middle English (in the senses 'meet as an adversary' and 'a meeting of adversaries'; formerly also as incounter): from Old French encontrer (verb), encontre (noun), based on Latin in- 'in' + contra 'against'.
Words that rhyme with encountercounter, mounter
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.