1Convert (information or data) into a cipher or code, especially to prevent unauthorized access.
- The microprocessor encrypts information and provides an encrypted output which is related to the alternator electrical output.
- On a basic level they could be used to decode encrypted information almost instantly.
- The public key encrypts the information as it's sent from a person's computer to the merchant, and a private key decrypts the information.
1.1 (encrypt something in) Conceal data in (something) by converting it into a code.
- Security is insured by encrypting the data in the exchange, which cannot be scanned or copied by sophisticated theft devices.
- They needed to encrypt the meaning in others’ thoughts and be assured their ideas would be perpetuated.
- If messages have been encrypted in these texts then how do we know we are getting it right?
1950s (originally US): from en-1 'in' + Greek kruptos 'hidden'.
Words that rhyme with encryptconscript, crypt, harelipped, hipped, script, unequipped, unwhipped
Definition of encrypt in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.