1 American Football The rectangular area at each end of the field into which the ball must be carried or passed and caught to score a touchdown.
- Jake screamed handing off a fake pass to the receiver and dashing for the end zone to score another touchdown.
- Make a player hold onto the ball after hitting the end zone to legitimize a touchdown.
- Jason had just run into the end zone and scored the touchdown that tied the score.
2 Hockey The area at either end of the rink, extending from the blue line to the boards behind the goal.
- Each team considers the end zone they are defending to be their defending zone.
- The outer zones are sometimes referred to as end zones, but most teams name them based on their position: the end zone in which a team is trying to score is the attacking zone or offensive zone; the end zone in which the team's own goal net is located is the defensive zone.
Definition of end zone in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.