Definition of end zone in English:
1 Football The rectangular area at each end of the field into which the ball must be carried or passed and caught to score a touchdown.
- Jake screamed handing off a fake pass to the receiver and dashing for the end zone to score another touchdown.
- Make a player hold onto the ball after hitting the end zone to legitimize a touchdown.
- Jason had just run into the end zone and scored the touchdown that tied the score.
2 Hockey The area at either end of the rink, extending from the blue line to the boards behind the goal.
- Each team considers the end zone they are defending to be their defending zone.
- The outer zones are sometimes referred to as end zones, but most teams name them based on their position: the end zone in which a team is trying to score is the attacking zone or offensive zone; the end zone in which the team's own goal net is located is the defensive zone.
Definition of end zone in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia