- Parasitic infections are endemic among this population.
- Rocky Mountain spotted fever is endemic in North, Central, and South America.
- Poverty is endemic in the South and it is spreading to the North.
- The shaded area indicates the endemic zone of Argentine hemorrhagic fever
- Examples calling for immunization include travel to endemic areas or intravenous drug use during pregnancy.
- Leishmaniasis should be considered in any person from an endemic area who has chronic localized skin lesions.
- About 221 plant species are endemic to this peninsular state.
- Most of the Chinese Impatiens species are endemic to the country or are restricted to a number of provinces.
- However, many other species are endemic to the North and many more seasonal migrants depend on northern environments for a significant part of their life history.
- Most species of Metagentiana are herbaceous local endemics growing in alpine scrub, meadows and coniferous forests.
- The plant communities of southern Appalachian wetlands include endemics that exist in the unique microhabitats of the region.
- Thus, low temperatures have led to selection for a high proportion of local endemics and species endemic to mountain peaks.
On the difference between endemic, epidemic, and pandemic, see epidemic (usage).
- Example sentences
- We're saying this money saved is to be spent on health and education when we know it's going to countries that are institutionally and endemically corrupt.
- Ever since my first encounter with French literature in my teens I have always thought French culture was endemically corrupt and devoid of any morality.
- Crucially, it provides an account of why humans are so endemically prone to addictive behaviour.
- Example sentences
- Among healthy persons living in a region of low endemicity, the false-positive rate with serology is about 2 to 5 percent.
- Areas with high endemicity include the Mediterranean basin, the Middle East, Central Asia, Chile, and Argentina.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises that Americans traveling to certain areas of high endemicity be vaccinated with hepatitis A vaccine.
Mid 17th century (as a noun): from French endémique or modern Latin endemicus, from Greek endēmios 'native' (based on dēmos 'people').
Words that rhyme with endemicacademic, alchemic, epidemic, pandemic, polemic, totemic
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of endemic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.