Definition of endive in English:
1An edible Mediterranean plant whose bitter leaves may be blanched and used in salads.
- This could be served with leaves of bitter endive or a bowl of small boiled potatoes for dipping.
- All you need to accompany this dish is a bitter, leafy salad like rocket and endives in an olive oil and lemon dressing.
- The company also produces bulb onions, parsnips, leeks, endives, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflowers, cabbage, swede and about five per cent of Britain's asparagus crop.
2 (also Belgian endive) North American A young, typically blanched chicory plant, eaten as a cooked vegetable or in salads.
- There's also endive and chicory which I will talk about later, which is a cousin of lettuce, but is technically not lettuce.
- So endives, including Belgian endive, are all chicories.
- The chicory clan - Belgian endive, radicchio, and escarole - is sneaking into more and more produce sections.
Definition of endive in:
- British & World English dictionary