- An inner layer of cells in the cortex of a root and of some stems, surrounding a vascular bundle.More example sentences
- The endodermis surrounding the vascular cylinder of the corm effectively blocked outward diffusion of the solutes.
- There were no visible differences in the development of endodermis between the two varieties and growth conditions.
- On analysis of freeze-dried sections of flower stem, these cells were identified as large, elongated cells situated between the phloem of every vascular bundle and the endodermis.
early 20th century: from endo- 'within' + modern Latin dermis 'skin'.
More definitions of endodermisDefinition of endodermis in:
- The British & World English dictionary