- 1Having an internal cause or origin: the expected rate of infection is endogenous to the system Often contrasted with exogenous.More example sentences
- But the long-term goal is to create the basis for internal development and endogenous growth.
- The endogenous variables in the system are attendance and price.
- Wheat price is clearly an endogenous player in the system, particularly at midterm and longer-term horizons.
- 1.1 Biology Growing or originating from within an organism: endogenous gene sequencesMore example sentences
- All endogenous genes contain promoter sequences that determine where and when they will be expressed in an organism.
- We realize that complete prevention of cross-transmission could have changed our findings, but the majority of cases of acquisition still were considered to be from endogenous origin.
- The vast majority of mutations in human tissues are certainly of endogenous origin.
- 1.2chiefly Psychiatry (Of a disease or symptom) not attributable to any external or environmental factor: endogenous depressionMore example sentences
- They are the main pathogenic factors of endogenous diseases.
- It appears that these medicines are not effective in combating symptoms of endogenous depression, which is more responsive to antidepressants.
- If the doctor fails to recognize the difference between these two and attempts to purge an endogenous disease, the deficiency will become more deficient.
- 1.3Confined within a group or society.More example sentences
- For example, the taste for discrimination may be endogenous to a particular society and consequently relatively impervious to competition.
- This process is mediated by endogenous factors, so forcing teenagers to bed early, or getting them up early in the morning, is contrary to their natural biological clock.
- However, characteristics of classrooms and factors endogenous to them still carry great sway over students' decisions to rebel.
- More example sentences
- Economic freedom is based on endogenously managed development rather than exogenously controlled development.
- Because these compounds are not produced endogenously, they must be introduced by means of the diet or intravenous infusion.
- The shoot or first leaf initiates endogenously within an area of the root.
More definitions of endogenousDefinition of endogenous in:
- The British & World English dictionary