An internal skeleton, such as the bony or cartilaginous skeleton of vertebrates. Compare with exoskeleton.
- This skeleton is enclosed by the epidermis and is thus an endoskeleton.
- The endoskeleton, which is composed of the vertebrae and associated axial structures, the limbs, the brain case, and various components of the skull, is the skeleton that is most familiarly vertebrate.
- The other type of skeleton is the endoskeleton, which provides a solid frame to carry the soft tissues of all vertebrates, including humans.
- Example sentences
- These supportive systems are endoskeletal but do not develop in conjunction with guts or nerve cords.
- Vertebrae, ribs, appendages, and the jaw are endoskeletal bone.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of endoskeleton in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.