Definition of engaged in English:
1 [predicative] Busy; occupied: I told him I was otherwise engaged
More example sentences
- Its leaders are actively engaged right now looking for a solution.
- While I was thus engaged, my patron was busy reading the placard that the library where I intern has placed at the reference desk.
- The turbulent 21st century needs an active and engaged America working to spread freedom and democracy - not one that withdraws into itself.
1.1British (Of a telephone line) unavailable because already in use.
- People affected said they had tried calling them, but all the telephone lines were either engaged or just rang, unanswered.
- Information on award notices was poor while customers seeking help with claims had their letters ignored or encountered engaged telephone lines, she said.
- This line was repeatedly engaged when we tried to call it this morning.
2Having formally agreed to marry.
- When a couple becomes engaged to be married, a ring is offered by the young man.
- Carter turns 27 this month and is engaged to be married, to a doctor.
- We're engaged to be married in two months, on the anniversary of the day I left.
3 Architecture (Of a column) attached to or partly let into a wall.
- Eight pairs of piers, each with an engaged column, were to articulate the lower portico, while the upper portico was to have had eight pairs of freestanding columns.
- Above the Ionic entablature, the vertical thrust from below is carried skyward by pedestals supporting kraters aligned with the engaged columns.
- The powerful square pillars which held up the three arches of each nave had an engaged column on each side, the same thickness for all its length, with a simple base without a pedestal.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.