Definition of engaged in English:
1 [predicative] Busy; occupied: I told him I was otherwise engaged
More example sentences
- Its leaders are actively engaged right now looking for a solution.
- While I was thus engaged, my patron was busy reading the placard that the library where I intern has placed at the reference desk.
- The turbulent 21st century needs an active and engaged America working to spread freedom and democracy - not one that withdraws into itself.
1.1British (Of a telephone line) unavailable because already in use.
- People affected said they had tried calling them, but all the telephone lines were either engaged or just rang, unanswered.
- Information on award notices was poor while customers seeking help with claims had their letters ignored or encountered engaged telephone lines, she said.
- This line was repeatedly engaged when we tried to call it this morning.
2Having formally agreed to marry.
- When a couple becomes engaged to be married, a ring is offered by the young man.
- Carter turns 27 this month and is engaged to be married, to a doctor.
- We're engaged to be married in two months, on the anniversary of the day I left.
3 Architecture (Of a column) attached to or partly let into a wall.
- Eight pairs of piers, each with an engaged column, were to articulate the lower portico, while the upper portico was to have had eight pairs of freestanding columns.
- Above the Ionic entablature, the vertical thrust from below is carried skyward by pedestals supporting kraters aligned with the engaged columns.
- The powerful square pillars which held up the three arches of each nave had an engaged column on each side, the same thickness for all its length, with a simple base without a pedestal.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan