Definition of engine turning in English:
The decoration of metal or ceramic objects with regular engraved patterns using a lathe.
- The leopardskin borders are created of translucent enamel over engine turning in imitation of moire silk.
- Perhaps the most fascinating of the decorative arts is engine turning, a centuries-old craft.
- Because Engine Turning is such a labor-intensive process, it came to be associated with high quality luxury items.
- Example sentences
- An example of inlaid engine-turned decoration is the shallow black-and-white checked or diced pattern seen on a quart mug from about 1800.
- With an engine-turned design and a rectangular frame suitable for engraving, this sterling silver card case makes a tasteful executive gift.
- New from this company comes this engine-turned adjustable watch band that will fit most any watch.
Definition of engine turning in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India