- A hypothetical permanent change in the brain accounting for the existence of memory; a memory trace.More example sentences
- The memory trace, or engram, ‘feels’ like it is stored permanently in the brain and it will never be forgotten.
- We'd wiped the memory engrams clean, or so we'd hoped.
- She shouldn't be thinking about him anyway, she should be flushing him out of her memory engrams.
early 20th century: coined in German from Greek en- 'within' + gramma 'letter of the alphabet'.
More definitions of engramDefinition of engram in:
- The British & World English dictionary