Definition of engrave in English:
verb[with object] (usually be engraved)
1Cut or carve (a text or design) on the surface of a hard object: my name was engraved on the ring
More example sentences
- Then I began to study the emblem; an amazingly intricate design was delicately engraved on its surface.
- The first character of the signature is badly engraved and hesitantly formed.
- Waiting for Sean in the clubhouse was a beautiful five wood golf club with a hickory shaft with his name engraved on its smooth surface.
1.2Cut (a design) as lines on a metal plate for printing.
- The bank engraves banknote images into metal plates by hand and uses special inks and watermarks to prevent forgery.
- In order to move beyond shoemaker Lane's effort and produce globes his neighbors would be proud to own, Wilson had to learn to engrave his maps on copper plates.
- He designed and engraved the plates for the first paper money in Massachusetts and established the first mill for rolling copper sheets.
1.3 (be engraved on or in) Be permanently fixed in (one’s memory or mind): the image would be forever engraved in his memory
More example sentences
- But there is one picture from last week that will forever be engraved on the American memory.
- What she said though would be engraved in my mind forever.
- Everything I had experienced, everything I had learned that eventful summer would forever be engraved in my mind.
be engraved in stone
- see stone.
- Example sentences
- He illustrated many of its books himself and also employed engravers.
- He was a prolific copper engraver and etching artist of maps and town views.
- The range of his work is astonishingly broad: he was also an engraver, sculptor, photographer and interior designer.
Words that rhyme with engravebehave, brave, Cave, clave, concave, crave, Dave, deprave, enslave, fave, forgave, gave, grave, knave, lave, Maeve, misbehave, misgave, nave, outbrave, pave, rave, save, shave, shortwave, slave, stave, they've, waive, wave
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan