Difficult to interpret or understand; mysterious: he took the money with an enigmatic smile
More example sentences
- These people pop up mysteriously and deliver enigmatic messages before vanishing again.
- From the enigmatic Chancellor it was interpreted as the closest thing to a job application.
- Researchers hope that its experimental data will solve some of the mysteries surrounding this enigmatic body.
- More example sentences
- When asked why he left India so early in his life, just after finishing school, he merely smiles and enigmatically questions: ‘Why did so many people of my generation leave India at that time.’
- ‘A few did drop off their twig,’ he replies enigmatically, when asked about suggestions that he has killed as many as 19 people.
- ‘They are on their way home,’ our guide says, enigmatically.